Primal Chicken Tikka Masala
An amazing Indian curry dish.
One of my all time favorite foods. It's a bit time consuming to make but well worth it, and extras freeze well - so make a big batch!
This is especially good served over cauliflower ‘rice’.
1 large onion
3 heaping Tbsp. diced fresh garlic
2 Tbsp. Garam Masala powder
1/2 tsp. white pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. powdered ginger
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. ground cardamom
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 cup sour cream or kefir
1 can tomato puree / sauce (sugar free just tomatoes)
1 cup heavy cream or half/half
6 Tbsp. butter or ghee
|Tandori Chicken/ Marinade: |
2-3 lbs bone-in chicken, skinless.
Pinch of each – garam masala, paprika, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper
1 cup kefir, unsweetened plain yogurt, or sour cream
1 juiced lemon
1 Tbsp. fresh grated ginger
1 Tbsp. diced garlic
1/2 chopped onion
To Prep Chicken:
1. Mix spices, rub into chicken. Mix kefir, lemon juice, ginger, garlic and onion. Add chicken to mix, stir. Marinade overnight or up to 24 hours, the longer the better. Stir a few times while marinating.
2. Remove pieces, grill until done or bake at 450 degrees for 20-30 mins until fully cooked.
3. Let cook, shred meat off bones into bite sized pieces.
To Prep Sauce:
1. In a blender, mix onion and garlic, pulverize into a paste.
2. Add the rest of sauce ingredients and blend completely.
3. Transfer contents to a large pot, heat until boiling, stirring frequently.
4. Add chicken to sauce, continue to heat on low until well mixed. Salt to taste. Cook until desired thickness is reached. A splatter-guard is great for this, since the thickened sauce will bubble and pop. Don’t let the sauce at the bottom of the pot burn (keep heat low and stir often).