My take on a traditional style Finnish onion pancake. A unique mixture of flavors make this pizza-like dish an interesting treat.
2 1/2 cups milk
1 cup wheat flour
1 cup white/bread flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup softened butter
1/2 tbsp quick action yeast
1 lb ground beef, turkey, or other meat
1 red onion
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp minced garlic
2 cups shredded cheese (I use a sharp cheddar with but of fresh grated parmesan on top)
1. Mix dough ingredients in large bowl, let rise for 1/2 hour. Will be soupy.
2. Chop onions, heat oil and fry till soft. Remove and set aside.
3. Brown meat in skillet, add onions back along with garlic, all spices and vinegar. Heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside to cool.
4. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
4. Grease a lipped cookie sheet with butter and/or use parchment paper on bottom - pour batter on sheet (evenly) - add meat/onion mix by sprinkling on top (do not mix up the dough after poured - add cheese last, on top.
5. Bake 25-30 minutes or until cheese is browning and bubbly.
6. Let cool and slice, serve warm.